Miami Beach’s Collins Avenue has undergone drastic changes since 1940, newly unearthed photos show. A photo from 80 years ago shows a relatively small, unmarked roadway passing by a grove of trees that fronted the beach at the time. The land seen in the picture is now built out with the Fontainebleau Resort.
It was utilized around the hour of the 1940 picture as Officer’s Quarters for the military during World War II, as indicated by a book called Lost Miami Beach refered to by Curbed in 2015. It was recently known as the Firestone Estate and possessed by tire head honcho Harvey Firestone from 1923 through 1938, and incorporated an aggregate of 1,600 feet of oceanfront property. Prior to that, it was claimed by James H. Snowden, who constructed the bequest in 1916.
In 1954, the first Fontainebleau tower was based on the site, with different towers encompassing it in the following years. South Beach was at that point all around grew, even by 1940. Just the previous Firestone domain looks moderately lacking. The correlation photographs were transferred by city commissioner John Aleman to online life.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.